Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP + Novell logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinky

IS-IT--Management
Sep 3, 2002
EU

We are currently talking about implementing Windows XP clients to replace the windows 98 environment we are currently using.
A problem we are facing is that we login through Novell servers.
I know that with windows 98 you can adjust the settings so that u only log in once and that there is a double authentication. : 1 for novell , and 1 for the domain.

Is this also possible for windows XP ?
And where do I set these settings ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Rgds

From Network Connections, add the Client Service for Netware to the connection you use to link to your domain. Once installed, an icon titled CSNW will appear in the Control Panel, from which Netware settings are applied. For a single login, both the domain and Netware login passwords must be the same. You probably could use Novell's client for Windows XP rather than Microsoft's, though I've no experience with that as XP's Novell client support does everything I've needed.

The Novell version of the Client will handle authentication to the Windows XP service as well as the Novell Service.

You adjust settings using the Control Panel, or through the Red N that will appear in the Task Bar.

You set up one account that matches username and password for both Novell and Windows.

If you are going to use the Novell Client (as opposed to MS version) then when you log on for the first time using the novell client logon screen, the local MS logon will appear, tick the box "merge passwords" and that will setup a single logon. If you change the Novell password after this you must do this again to update the local Windows profile.

It worked,

Thanks very much for all your replies

That is all fine and dandy for a single user, but I have a number of users using the same computers.

I work at a university and almost all of the office personel have multiple computers they use. We use the Novell client SP1 for XP and we can't find a way to use a single login for all of them using the Novell authentication. I need to be able to do some thing locally, since our head network administrator doesn't like to do work unless he absolutely has to. At least I can correct the problem for those who ask me.

Can anyone help?

DecoyBoy,

What's the problem you're encountering?

When someone comes to a machine is the last username in the username field?

This first field is only Novell it does not change the username used for the Windows login.

Add a REG_SZ value named DontDisplayLastUserName. Set the data value to 1 to remove the last username logged into this machine.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

I found the "Ultimate Guide" TID from Novell answered any question I had about what could and could not be done under the Netware Client for XP and other Windows Versions. The link is:

I have a feeling that what you want to do you can't do, but at least by reading this guide whatever the option you need is either explained in detail as to the registry edits required, or you will find out it is currently impossible.

Best.

DecoyBoy,

I am running a Novell Network with no NT Domain. This causes any user of Windows XP or 2000 to have a local accout on the workstation or they are unable to logon to the workstation itself. We have worked around this by having all users log onto the workstation as Guest. We have made the Guest Account a user and power user. This way any user can logon to Novell and still have access to the computer. The only drawback is all users will share Documents and Settings.

ikayak,
It sounds like you need to look at Novell ZENworks 4.0 for desktops. This software, among many, many other things has what's called "Dynamic Local User" where user accounts can be added and deleted based on policies setup in eDirectory.

HTH
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back