Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP + Norton AV 2003 + NT Server - Funny things

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTmare

Programmer
Feb 9, 2003
CA
Hello All !!

First of all I would like to thank you for reading my thread.

My computer is:

Windows XP Professional SP1 + Hotfixes
Norton Antivirus 2003
ASUS A7A266,
Athlon 1.2 gHz "Thunderbird",
256Mb DDR RAM PC2100,
SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211 Series) - NIC,

Logitech corded USB keyboard iTouch,
Microsoft - Wheel Mouse Optical USB,

My Server is:

Windows NT server 4.0 SP6 + Hotfixes,
ASUS P2B97,
Pentium II 233 mHz,
64Mb RAM PC100,
256Mb RAM PC133,
SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211 Series) - NIC,
Standard PS/2 Keyboard,
Microsoft Wheel Mouse PS/2,
(CAS set to slowest possible)

Today, I turned on my computer and, when browsing my shared files in my network server (NT SRVR 4.0 SP6), the folder contents in the left pane of Windows explorer, was refreshing continuously. Which never happened before.

Because I just set ICF (Internet Connection Firewall), I thought that this was happening, because a network configuration problem.

When I opened the Network Connections Folder to verify my Firewall (ICF) settings, I realized that the Internet Gateway Icon was there along with Local Area Connection Icon.

Happens that I never set an Internet Gateway, because my server is connected to a cable modem using a Linksys firewall/router, so I believe that that icon should not be there. I was quite surprised !

Then I decided to verify the Internet Gateway settings, and I found some MSMSG options enabled (!), which I thought that that was there because Windows Messenger (v 4.7.0105), I disabled and re-enabled each one of those MSMSG options, just to see what could happen.

But still my folders are pulsing in a refreshing loop, without explanation !

Then for any reason, I decided to disable the Auto-Protect function of Norton Antivirus 2003 (v 9.05.15), and, that annoying pulsing thing had stoped !! Just like that...

Then I re-enabled Auto-Protect function of Norton Antivirus 2003, and my folders started pulsing in a refreshing loop again ! I thought - That is it !

When I came back to see Network Connections the Internet Gateway Icon had disapeared (!)

I am sharing this because I would like to confirm if someone else already saw such findings happening like living folders and icons.

Cheers...

These two threads turned up while searching for "Refresh" in this forum.

thread779-444833

thread779-449014

I tried to change the folder option in
Ctrl Panel / folder option / View /
and disabling the option

"Automaticaly search for network and printers"

And I also tried

"H_L_M\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Update
If UpdateMode=0
change it to 1(;)"

But it was already set to 0 (! @$#%!#%#!).

Anyway, I tried both solution, but nothing worked.
(! @$#%!#%#!).

I am almost undertanding that this refreshing behaviour is set by design of Norton AntiVirus 2003, because:

1) When the AUTO PROTECTION option is enabled, the left pane of Explorer showing a shared folder content starts refreshing.

2) When AUTO PROTECTION option is disabled, it stops refreshing.

3) This refreshing behaviour of Explorer showing shared folders, does not happens in a computer running Windows XP professional SP1 + hotfixes + Norton AntiVirus 2002.

Is there any Windows XP Professional user using Norton AntiVirus 2003 that can confirm this ?

I am still verifying if there is any correlation between the explorer refresh behaviour and the following:

1) net time /DOMAIN:<SRVR> /SET /Y
- Syncronizes client's clock with server one.

This probably could lead to the refresh (??)

Well so far the explorer here is jumping a lot !!

Cheers...

Hello All !!

This Explorer Refreshing problem was because Norton Utilities 2.0 installed in Windows NT Server...

After I got a stop error, 0x00000024 (NTFS) I realized that maybe Norton Utilities 2.0 should be removed. I did so, and the refreshing problem is gone.

In my previous thread I was close to understand that the problem was Norton AntiVirus 2003.

I am almost undertanding that this refreshing behaviour is set by design of Norton AntiVirus 2003, because:

1) When the AUTO PROTECTION option is enabled, the left pane of Explorer showing a shared folder content starts refreshing.

2) When AUTO PROTECTION option is disabled, it stops refreshing.

3) This refreshing behaviour of Explorer showing shared folders, does not happens in a computer running Windows XP professional SP1 + hotfixes + Norton AntiVirus 2002.

Cheers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back