Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Network - Different Workgroups Sharing Same T1 Internet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokkit99

Technical User
May 30, 2002
US
Windows XP Network - Different Workgroups Sharing Same T1 Internet

Thanks for reading this post.

I have a Windows XP Network. All workstations are using XP. There are different workgroups sharing the same T1 Internet Connection. Even though the workstations are broken into diferent workgroups, all the workstations can see each others files and gain access to them regardless of what workgroup they are a member of.

How can I share the Internet Connection, but restrict the different workgroups to sharing & seeing only the files within their own workgroup.

Under local area connection, I have gone to TCP/IP, advanced and Wins and under Netbios Setting checked the bottom item to disable Netbios over TCP/IP. Enable LMhosts is checked, but this apparently didn't do it.

Please Help - I'm in a crisis right now.

Thanks so much for any help!

rokkit99

If you really want to seperate them I would do it with a firewall that has multiple interfaces. I personally would use a pc with however many network cards you need depending on how many networks you want to seperate, and then load m0n0wall on it and create rules allowing traffic from each interface to the wan nic but nothing allowed between the internal interfaces.

You could probably also set up vlans if you have a managed switch. The m0n0wall idea is cheaper and easier IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back