Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Network connections and Juno Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandie1253

Technical User
Feb 18, 2003
EG
A couple of weeks ago I got the MS blaster virus and I contacted Compaq and got the step by step to remove the virus and download the patch which worked very well. Also they recommended I put a check in my firewall by going to Network connections in the Control Panel, right click, go to properties, advanced tab, and put a check in the "enable firewall" box. A work mate also got the exact same virus and I used my paperwork to remove his virus and download the patch etc. When it came for me to put a check in the firewall box, there was not a single icon in the Network Connections. I went to his control Panel, network connections, it opened up and the whole page was empty. He uses Juno to log on. So I went to Juno and in order to open it up you have to log on. I did. No matter what tab or properties or options I went to I saw no firewall located anywhere. Does anyone know where the firewall might be for his computer network connections?

Is his machine XP? How does he connect to Juno, by dial up? If the answer to both of these is 'yes', then what happens when you try to create a new network connection - are any options dimmed (unavailable)?

thank you for replying Smah. Yes his machine is XP. Yes he does log on with Juno. He clicks the desktop icon. We did a chat support with Compaq for him one day and the guy suggested making a new connection like you did, we did and it seemed like it worked. So we went to the normal procedure and opened network connections and nothing was there again. The page opens fine but there is no icons (the little double computers) in the page at all. It is like they are going somewhere else. I right clicked the Juno properties, nothing. I logged on for him but in no area did I find anything about a firewall. Unless I overlooked it, there was nothing. I do not recall anything that might be necessary being dimmed.

Search in the XP forurm for dial up - you will find the answer posted several times. Generally, this problem can be cured by a reinstall of SP1 and has nothing to do with virii.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back