Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP logs off after logging in 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enkrypted

Technical User
Sep 18, 2002
US
I'm having an issue where a Windows XP machine logs off immediately after logging in. I've done some looking into it and the only solution I can find is the following:

Here is the solution to the logon - logoff issue in Windows XP.

Enter the Recovery Console

Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM. In the first screen when the Setup begins, read the instructions press "R" (in the first screen) enter the Recovery Console. Type-in the built-in Administrator password to enter the Console. You'll see the prompt reading C:\Windows (Or any other drive-letter where you've installed XP)

Type the following command and press Enter.

CD SYSTEM32
(If that does not work, try CHDIR SYSTEM32)

COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE

Quit Recovery Console by typing EXIT and restart Windows.

You'll be able to login successfully as you've created the wsaupdater.exe file (now, a copy of userinit.exe)

Now, change the USERINIT value in the registry (see Phase II in this page) and change it accordingly.

I've tried that however after the restart, the same thing is still happening so I cannot get into the registry to edit the value. Has anyone had this issue before and was able to repair it successfully without having to do a format/reinstall? Any help is appreciated! TIA!

Enkrypted
A+

I've done a practical joke with automatic logoff by using the scheduled task. :)

No, this isn't a joke or prank someone is playing. The people I work with aren't smart enough to setup Task Scheduler. This started occuring after hooking up a secondary drive (to pull information off of) to this pc.

Enkrypted
A+

Start the recovery console and try checkdsk /r before doing anything drastic. It could be as simple as part of the registry being corrupted. Be patient and give it plenty of time to complete. If that doesn't help, only then should you move on to more involved actions.

Chkdsk found and repair errors on the volume, but the existing problem still exists.

Enkrypted
A+

Are there any other user accounts [and do they work] including the true Administrator account which in XP Home is only accessible from Safe Mode (for Xp Pro press CTRL+Alt+Del twice at the Welcome Screen)?

If none of the above helps, this is usually fixable, but difficult. Even though you haven't mentioned these particular error messages, the scenario and the fix is the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back