Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Login Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomanDA

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2001
US
Hi all,

Just loaded RC1, and Everything seems good.. EXCEPT..
I can no longer login to the DOMAIN I'm connected to.

I get the following msg:

"Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found. Please try again later. etc..."

I have checked the following:

1. My computer IS in the domain - I removed it/reloaded it FROM This pc
2. My password/Account IS valid. Logged in from another PC

Not sure what the heck is wrong. Our network is NT4, and im not sure if that is part of the issue here.
ANY help would be great.. THANKS!!

David Roman

Have you checked your network card and drivers so that they are similar to the PC you were able to log in on? Your account is obviously OK or you would not be able to log in the same on another PC.

This is just a stab in the dark , but are you using static or dynamic IP's.? If you are using staic, then try running WINIPCFG and release and renew all your IP's. Not sure this will help but it is just a thought!!

We are having the exact same problem here--when we set up an XP machine to login to our domain, it works when the machine is within the subnet that the server is on. When we bring the machine to another office to install that is outside the subnet, we get the domain logon error. We have tried everything that you suggested but nothing works. The XP machine is able to make all other network connections (web browsing, e-mail, map to share drives when the correct user name and passwords are used) but we just cannot login to the domain. Do you have any further suggestions?

Thanks.

It does sound like the ip address is hung in the original post as well as with Olliecat.
Bring up the dos command box, type ipconfig /release
this will release the ip addresses
then type ipconfig /renew
this will renew the ip addresses.
Hopes this will help. (-:

We've done that and confirmed that the DHCP address is appropriate for the subnet that the PC is on. Thanks anyway! If you have any more ideas, please let me know. I have seen a lot of stuff on the web about this problem and some say to put the PDC into the DNS listing and others say to disable signing or sealing a secure channel in the registry. We will systematically try them all . . .

If someone knows what to do about it... the same XP vs NT4 domain happens to me...

This is terrible...
Regards...

Perhaps this tip from the following site may make sense to you.

5146 » Windows XP client cannot log on to a Windows NT 4.0 domain?

Windows XP tries to sign or seal the secure channel between the workstation and the domain controller. This causes the following error:

Windows cannot connect to the domain either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable or because your computer account was not found.

The domain controller may record:

Event ID: 5723

The session setup from the computer <Computername> failed to authenticate. The name of the account referenced in the security database is <Computername>. The following error occurred: Access is denied.

The client may record:

Event Source: NETLOGON
Event ID: 3227
Description: The session setup to the Windows NT or Windows 2000 domain controller \\<ServerName> for the domain <DomainName> failed because \\<ServerName> does not support signing or sealing the Netlogon session. Either upgrade the domain controller or set the RequireSignOrSeal registry entry on this machine to 0.

To workaround this feature difference:

1. Use Control Panel to open Local Security Policy in the Administrative Tools.

2. Navigate to Local Policies / Security Options.

3. Double-click Domain Member:Digitally encrypt or sign secure channel data (always).

4. Press Disabled.

5. Press Apply and OK.

NOTE: You could Merge the following requiresignorseal.reg file:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters]
&quot;requiresignorseal&quot;=dword:00000000

Try these sites too.

Check your NETBIOS settings under the WINS tab under Network Settings, TCP/IP properties. Play with that on the workstation

linney was right on!
I had a XP machine with same error messages trying to log into a NT4.0 PDC to no avail.
Unplugged from network, signed in as local machine admin, changed XP security parameters, replugged, signed into domain with no further issues.

Side Note: Had unrelated problem with contacting some not all servers on same domain. Solution was to turn off the built-in XP firewall. It was blocking access to all servers, web, email, etc except the PDC.

Thanks for your help, Linney!

-JN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back