Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP logging onto a NT 4.0 Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank668

Technical User
Oct 21, 2002
CA
I got a Windows NT 4.0 Domain Controller with it's Backup Server working, every users are logged onto it with Windows 95, 98 and 2000 clients. I now have a Windows XP client that is unable to view/join the domain I use; Windows says that the domain could have been mistyped or that could not be contacted.

I know that there is a solution for that problem but I am not sure of it, I don't know it either, if you could help me, thank you in advance.

Thank you, Frank.

Hmmm... I had a similar problem a while back when I was unable to join a W2K machine to an NT4 domain and got the same 'can't find..' messages (even though the PDC and BDCs were in sync).
Someone suggested I manually add the machine ID of the workstation to the domain first, and then try changing the information on the workstation - skipping the create account in domain option of course. To my surprise it worked. May be worth a try - if it doesn't work in your particular case, you're no worse off... Cheers!

Darts [morning] "Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday" -- Dale Carnegie.

I wish it worked, the computer is still unable to view the domain. It says that the domain could not be found. I have created a new user in the domain as "TonyTest" then I got onto the computer, changed it's name to "TonyTest" and when I wanted to add the Domain, it said that it couldn't find it.

-Frank

Check your settings. Just connect and XPpro to our NT4 with no prob.

You know how MS moves all the setting around with every new version ... double check.

Are you using WINS?
Is XP configured to use it?

You need to go into TCP/IP properties and click the Advanced button to configure WINS. [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

I am not using WINS Server here, I have tried to connect the computer directly to the switch in order to have it closer to the NT4 server.

I have been on the technet from Microsoft to get help about the problem, I have done the needed tests / changes without chance of having my problem solved.

If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Thank you, Frank.

I assume you've done the basic tests - can the XP machine ping the server, etc?

I've found that XP isn't happy without a DNS server - have you got one?

There is an entry that you may need to enter in your local lmhost file in order for it to see the domain. I had similar issues with this and was told by Microsoft to add a line in there, it had numbers and stuff. It is individual to enviroments, my recommendation contact Microsoft support and they will be able to get you the info you need to put into the LMHOSTs file.

TB

Any reason you're not using WINS? It's more or less a requirement for NetBIOS name resolution - including the ability for PCs to find domain controllers...

Failing that, as tbhatt has said, you need to add an entry into your LMHOSTS file to tell the XP box where the domain controller(s) are. [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

If it can't find the domain, then there is a connectivity problem, are you sure that the IP address you are assigning is in the correct range and that the subnet mask is correct.
If your going through a router, is it in the routing table?

It is possible to be able to ping an address and yet still not be able to join the domain as the ping goes through the netbios.

I had a similar problem two weeks ago in Germany, trying to get a new BDC to join the domain. Drove me nuts for a day,Finally in an act of desperation I used a DHCP address and the BDC joined and syncd with no problem. Turned out the IP address I had been supplied to use, was not in the routing table, even though it was in the correct range and subnet. On return to the UK, I assigned a static IP address to the BDC from the range that was in the routing table of the main router and it is still working fine.

I had the same problem with one XP Pro pc as well
I went in and checked "Enable Netbios Over TCP/IP"
and it worked fine. It's strange though
because only one of the XP pc's had to
have that enabled for it to work.

lbrown13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back