Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Laptop Won't obtain IP address from DHCP server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2004
US
I have a t23 IBM laptop with Windows XP. I am trying to get connected. The problem started as a "network cable unplugged" ballon appeared on the taskbar. I tried a new cable and new ethernet jack. It connected but would disconnect briefly then reconnect. Now, working from a remote office, I cannot obtain an IP address except for some 169..address, not a proper network address. I have tried removing the NIC from device manager, release and renew the IP, and a program called Winsockfix. When i tried a static IP, i could still not ping google for example, however it notice a conflict in IPs. So it appears it is on the network, but can't get out. Any ideas? Bad NIC? Thanks

Contact the system Administrator

Might be that subnet is full. Ask them to reserver a ip for you. Get your MAC address handy.

Do local loopback ping

ping 127.0.0.1

If you get a reply, then your NIC is fine. Also try changing the network setting to Autodetect. If the lanspeed is 10 MB half and your NIC is set to 100 Full, you won't get ip.

Cheers

No Norton products have been uninstalled. The loopback ping works. I have tried it on 3 different networks now and it still doesnt work, so the subnet could not be full. Any other ideas on getting an IP?

If it has a conflict with another IP, then naturally you won't be able to ping anything.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Perform a winsock Fix including reinstalling TCP/IP

Reinstall of the TCP/IP protocol to restore Winsock functionality

Step 1: Delete registry keys

A) Open Regedit from the Run line
B) Go to both of the following keys, export each of them, and then delete them:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
C) Restart the computer

NOTE: It is important to restart the computer after deleting the Winsock keys.
Doing so causes the XP operating system to recreate shell entries for those two keys. If this is not done, the next step does not work correctly.

Step 2: Install TCP/IP on top of itself

A) Open the properties window of the network connection
B) Click Install
C) Click Protocol, then Add
D) Click Have Disk
E) Type the path to the nettcpip.inf file, for example: c:\windows\inf, and click OK (if you try to click Browse, then browse to the \inf folder, it may not show up
in the list).
F) You should now see "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" in the list of available protocols. Select it and click OK.
G) Restart the computer

When the computer reboots you will have functional Winsock keys.

NOTE: If the network connection properties contained more than the following three items: Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft
Networks, and TCP/IP, then the additional items may need to be removed in order to restore browsing. If those items are needed they can be reinstalled. The reason
for removing them is due to those items placing entries into the Winsock keys and those entries will no longer be there.

3. Run WinsockFix. Reboot.

4. Start, Run, cmd
netsh int ip reset reset.txt
Reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back