Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP (LAN Enabled, but can't ping, can't connect, nothing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goku81

Programmer
Mar 27, 2001
US
Someone please help me. A handful of computers on our network have been having this problem. Brand new computers with fresh XP installations are allowing and recognizing the LAN connection. I checked the ports myself. The feed into the dormrooms is just fine. Windows XP is showing itself as "LAN Enabled" and is reporting that packets are being sent out, but that's all I can do. I can't receive any packets. I can't access internet, I can't ping the switch, can't ping anyone...... it's a brand new installation of XP so no settings have been changed and the "use firewall" under advanced settings is not there..... please help me :)

P.S. The ports i'm tryin to work on work perfect.... I plugged these people into ports that the win2k boxes were using, and their traffic was just fine, i use those ports for those XP boxes.... now I have the problem I stated above..... it's for sure something to do with windows XP

do an ipconfig to make sure it's getting correct IP, mask, etc. You can also do a netstat -e

Check it's routing table to confirm default gateway 'route print'

Can you ping to the loopback 127.0.0.1? If yes then the protocol stack is working.

-Jeff ----------------------------------------
Wassabi Pop Tarts! Write Kellogs today!

yes the ping to the localhost is working just fine. the problem has something to do with windows XP. the port to the room is fine. IT's a brand spankin new installation of winxp home edition... we can't get the $#^#$^ thing added to the network. the protocol stack works. I can only ping localhost from this dangblasted XP box we're havin issues with.

please help.

I'm having a similar problem, although I can't connect from remote PC into our LAN - I can ping servers, but can't map network drives...
I use the same connection method (dial into a Stallion e-pipe gateway) on NT 4 machines - they have no problem connecting. win XP Pro machines can't connect. All I know so far is that it has something to do with the Interface number - everytime I dial in, the Interface number is different - whereas in NT 4 it remains static.

I was under the impression that XP Home wasn't suitable for connecting to a LAN - I had issues with it, ended up having to upgrade to XP Pro - which worked fine.

Same problem here. XP Pro on laptop connecting to an NT4 server. LAN connection fine and picks up a dynamic IP address. Self ping fails. I've done a complete TCP/IP reset but self ping fails every time. Laptop went back to Compaq and they say its fine. So now I'm stuck - all my other XP machines log on fine but not this baby!
I'm ready to dump XP for 98SE, at least that works....

Windows XP and 2000 use by default an encrypted connection. NT4 does not support this. Try disabling the use of IPSEC in the NIC by going to the TCP/IP properties\Advance\Options\IP Security\Properties Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

Goku,

Do you have a basic Lan cable continuity checker? Check continuity from the patch cord back to the patch panel, if good, check the patch cable going directly to router-

Ive got the same problems,Xp pro cant reach the DC on another subnet.It can ping the router on its local network, but not the router on the other subnet....The other clients(98/95/w2k)have no problems doing this...Much stranger is when i tell u it has worked for months and stopped without reason.....
<Ive tried to ping this client from another subnet and got
3 packets loss,after doing this it wont receive packets anymore....

<I also have another XP Pro client this one didnt work from tha start...

Very strange i hope some1 got some answers....

I don't know if this is an issue, but I've read (I don't use XP) on another forum that it could possibly be XP's internal firewall preventing anything from getting out.

You might want to check and make sure that it's disabled.

Is it XP Hoe version? they will only connect 5 machines on a LAN, Pro exceeds this limitation, maybe this helps?

Got a similar problem on three identical brand new XP Professional machines equipped with MSI Motherboards. It turned out to be a configuration fault after production. The MAC Adresse of the internal LAN Card had been reset to
zero. Maybe worthwhile to check.

Hang on. Are you trying to add a XP home edtion to a DOMAIN????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back