Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Internet connection Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deak

Technical User
Nov 9, 2001
US
Hello I am having issues I have the Fios connection to the internet as well as a VPN TUnnel to my office computer at work. Recently when I turn on my computer now its prompting to use my VPN Tunnel for internet connection when it should not be I am directly connected to the internet thru the FIOS. If I click the dont ask me until next time I get to the internet no problem. I have gone into IE (version 6) & made sure its flagged to never dial a connection as well as deleted the VPN connection & recreated it. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Is it a recent enough event that maybe using System Restore would return things to how they use to be?

I notice you are using IE6, do you have SP2 installed? If not this may apply?

815427 - You Are Prompted to Use a Dial-Up Connection When You Try to Use a Network Connection

A couple of threads here that look at auto dial and similar things.

How to set a default internet connection
thread779-837288

Auto dialing up and I have no idea why!
thread779-801728

Well Thanks for the information. Yes I do have SP2 loaded & installed as well as automatically download Windows updates. I ran Spy Bot & it found several items however still same results. I delete my VPN connection & when I go to the internet it gets on just fine. As soon as I recreate the VPN Tunnel it starts prompting me again. I have gone thru my start up & shut off everything I could possibly shut off. Still prompting me. My IE was already checked for Never Dial a connection. I have not checked the Network Connection advanced going to do that this evening when I get home & cross my fingers. Thanks for the links & suggestions.

Well I have run many spy ware search items & such nothing has resolved this issue Yet. I am going to try & reload Windows & see what happens thanks all for the help & direction

What VPN client software are you using?

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back