Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Install does not Restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchshin

MIS
Dec 6, 2000
US
I have installed a new Hitachi hard drive in my Gateway PC. I am installing Windows XP. After it partitions the drive, it is to restart the PC and continue with the setup. However, the PC restarts on nothing happens but a black screen.
Is there a problem elsewhere in the PC? Or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

try to start the pc first with a win-98 floppy boot disk.
you can get a win-98 boot disk from here: you should also check to see that it's wired correctly, and the jumpers are set properly (master, slave, etc.)
how is the hard drive and cd-rom connected?

Check the BIOs boot order as well it can be set to boot off wrong drive so when it reboots and tries to access the hard drive to continue the install the BIOS is telling it to look at a non existant drive to boot from.

Read the checklists in these MSKB. Look at things like disabling Bios virus scanning and removing any USB devices.

HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP(Q316639)

310064 - HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me

224826 - Troubleshooting Text-Mode Setup Problems on ACPI Computers

314503 - Computer Stops Responding with a Black Screen When You Start Windows

The computer stops responding during startup

Check your RAM for faults.

Is there any Bios update available for your machine?

If you delete a partition and create a new one you must format when you restart. Have you formatted or is this not what your doing?

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back