Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Home uses 100% of processor at bootup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2002
US
I am not running any antivirus programs and I have also scanned for viruses as well as checked for odd programs running in the background. My computer is a Dell 8200 series with a 1.7 P4 256MB RDRAM 40Gig hard drive 2 CD's a Burner and a regular drive. Turtle beach sound card. Under task manager it states that system process is eating up 98% of the processor. Any ideas?

Heath

I have seen early BIOS releases for more than one motherboard manufacturer cause this. Go to Dell's site and see if they have a newer BIOS for you...

Please excuse my ignorance. Are you referring to "System Idle Process", or "System" in the Task Manager.

How is your computer performing?

Here are a couple of links you can check out to see if they make any difference.

Try disabling any unrequired "services" that are running in background.

I mean system idle process, and I have already taken care of the services process.

Heath

I don't think you've got much to worry about then. To my understanding "System Idle Process" is just the unused CPU resources.

If you want to make it go down, just load software. The higher it is the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back