Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP HOME says I can't install Avira 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

judgehopkins

Technical User
Mar 23, 2003
US
I am trying to install Avira Anti-Virus on my laptop and I get the error message: "Setup requires the windows installer service in order to perform installation."

There is no other AV software on the machine.

How do I cure this?

If you need further info, please let me know.

Thanks!

There are two guaranteed rules of success: First, never tell everything you know.

The message is pretty much as it says: There's something called the Windows Installer (or Microsoft Installer) which needs to be running for certain applications to be installed. These are usually made using Microsoft's installer creation utility and have files of MSI extension, or are packaged with an EXE stub.

This is a good read on what is in question:

And the answer is to either make sure Windows Installer is installed or make sure the service has not been disrupted in some way.

For the first, downloading the Windows Installer package from Microsoft and installing it should help.

Otherwise:

It is not possible for anyone to acknowledge truth when their salary depends on them not doing it.

Glen, I used this from Microsoft's KB:

Method 4

The Windows Installer service may disabled on the machine.

1. Go to "Start" -> "Run" , type "services.msc" and press on "Enter" button.

etc.

I wish Microsoft's KB would give us the solutions starting with the easiest and least likely to cause harm AND not have so many typos, grammar errors, and bad English in them.

Thank you, Glen!

There are two guaranteed rules of success: First, never tell everything you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back