Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows xp home installation problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin4real

Technical User
Oct 4, 2003
US
I just bought a 20 gig hard drive for windows xp home edition. The cd-rom boots, hard drive is formatted, and the neccessary installation file are copied to the harddrive all with no problems. When the computer restarts and i have it boot from the harddrive, the installation process go on without a hitch until it gets to /installing windows but more precisily installing devices. I have never had this problem before the mouse is very laggy/jumpy, the background information rotates, but the progress on installing devices remains at about 2/3, and it says,"setup will complete in approx. 34 min. I thought it might be a problem with how i installed it on the "unpartitioned drive", so i went back, reformatted the harddrive, partitioned the drive into two 10gig sections, then proceeded to install windows again,all with no success. could it just be that it needs to take a long time or maybe a device conflict. whats weird is that i can move the mouse with some lagg and the little squares in the bottom right hand corner move but the installation doesnt want to move forward. any help would be greatly appreciated

Partition first then format the primary partion.(the partition that the OS is to go on)
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back