Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP home edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

zon123

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2005
US
I cannot open Excel files on a school website via Internet Explorer on Windows XP home edition . I get a HTTP error 403. Access denied. I'm guessing it's a IIS issue. Home edition has no IIS. Is there a work around?

I would think the problem is with the website. Is the page you are trying to access a secure page? Can you open this page from another computer?

I can access the files using a Windows XP Pro computer just fine.

Hi,
Same user account? Same Domain?

The IIS could be using Windows authentication...

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

The XP home is a personal computer. The file is on a school website where the a user has to login onto the school portal to access the files. The XP pro computer is also a personal computer.

Hi,
To confirm, the XP Pro and the XP Home are both attempting to access the site from home and the Pro can, but the Home cannot?
Do you get to the Portal login with both machines?
What happens then?

[profile]

I access the portal using XP home, I login, double click on the file and I receive the error. I log off the portal and login the portal on XP Pro double click the file and it opens.

See if any of the checklists in these type of articles offer any clues?

You Cannot Access Your MSN E-mail Account or Authenticate with a Web Site in Various Programs

Troubleshoot Situations Where You Cannot Connect to Secure Web Sites by Using Internet Explorer in Windows XP

This site also has some good thoughts on the issue:
You Receive a "Page Cannot Be Displayed" Error Message When You Post to a Site That Requires Authentication

Hi,
Thanks,,that clarifies it nicely ( also makes it hard to solve..Cannot see why the OS would make any difference, since the web site has no idea what OS you are using..)

Same Browser and version on both?

[profile]

Hi,

I tried to Install MSDE (SQL Server free ed.) on XP Home Ed. It's running but from other computer I could not connect to that database using sa account. Unlike when installed on XP Professional which MSDE can perform almost like SQLServer. Does it because XP Home Ed.?

Thanks,
Martin

Adhie,

Not sure what software you are talking about but most downloads have information on System Requirements, so check there first.

System Requirements: Win 98 or above, mdac - Microsoft operating system: Windows 9x/ME/XP/NT 3.x/NT/2000.

System Requirements: .Net Framework 1.1 - Microsoft operating system: Windows NT/2000/XP/2003.

How is XP Home communicating with the rest of your Network, any problems on that side of things?

Network is fine, file sharing OK.

I installed MSDE on XP Home Ed. and set security for Mix mode (Windows and MSDE account). Instance name pc1name\msde. If I installed on XP Pro I can access that instance from pc2, tested. But intalled on XP Home can not.
My question is whether this final conclution or any other cause?

Get free DB, MSDE + SQL Enter Manager Trial, sufficient for small app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back