Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP home doesn't recognize my graphic card any more 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

abassoli

Technical User
Jul 23, 2006
Hello friends
I had to repair my Windows XP Home SP2 installation. After this procedure, Windows doesn't recognize my graphic card and monitor any more (RIVA TNT and Samsung 750B). It uses the system drive, which doesn't allow great performance or resolution.
I'm able to start and work with the computer, but can't use the full resources of the monitor...
I have a Sempron 3000 with an ASUS offboard motherboard.
Any clues, please?
Thank you beforehand
Arnaldo Bassoli

abassoli said:
It uses the system drive...

What exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean that your motherboard has integrated video?

If that's what you mean, then somehow the Riva TNT card has been disabled in the BIOS. Check the settings there first. Also, it would help to know if the card is PCI or AGP.

Once Windows sees the card, then you can get the drivers you need at the link Joey posted above.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Thank you for the tips!
I've tried to install the drivers for the monitor and the graphic card but they do not function because Windows simply doesn't know, doesn't recognize these pieces of hardware are there... maybe the plug-and-play system is not working...
What do you think?
The motherboard is offboard, so I can't understand how I'm getting any image at all (the computer is working perfectly with the resolution of 1024x768, 32 bits.
Thanks again
Arnaldo Bassoli

The motherboard is offboard, so I can't understand how I'm getting any image at all (the computer is working perfectly with the resolution of 1024x768, 32 bits.
HUH??? what do you mean by the motherboard is offboard?

as someone mentioned, check the BIOS and if it has ONBOARD video disable it...

btw. the RIVA TNT is a pretty OLD gfx card, so it would probably be better to just to go ahead and purchase a newer card... if you are not doing any heavy gaming, I would look into a nVidia fx 6200 (around 30 Euro nowadays) or better...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

What I tried to say is that there's no integrated video in the motherboard.
Of course buying a new card is an idea. What I'm concerned is that probably Windows won't recognize the new one either... what if the plug and play system isn't working?
Thanks again!
Arnaldo

Check that Plug and Play is enabled in the BIOS (it may have become switched off).

Also, check that the Plug and Play service is set to Automatic and is running (Started). If you have to start it, I would suggest you also reboot unless it starts detecting things straight away.

If you still can't get Windows to detect it, have a look in Device Manager under the Display Adaptors section to see what's listed and what state it's in (normal icon, icon with question mark, icon with red cross). If necessary post a reply to say what you see.

abassoli,
I think the common theme so far is to check the BIOS! You need to skim through all the settings to see if it recognizes your video card. Obviously it must be seeing some video processor, otherwise you wouldn't have anything on your screen.

Also, are you getting the drivers from Nvidia's website, or are you trying to use an old CD that came with the card? Make sure you've tried the ones on the website, as the ones on CD may not be XP compatible.

And finally, Windows doesn't ever require you to install drivers for the monitor. It should detect it as "Default" or "Plug and Play" if it doesn't recognize the specific model.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I'm able to start and work with the computer, but can't use the full resources of the monitor..
Guys. The OP can work with the computer. Which I assume means there is an image. If that is the case, its either picking up the Video Card with standard VGA drivers or its picking something else up and using that to display.

Since he said there is no Onboard video, I will assume its recognizing the Video Card at least as a video card. Even if the drivers aren't right.

With that said, how are you trying to install drivers for the Video Card?

If you go Into Device Manager, what does it say for Display Adapter? Try updating the Dirvers for whatever Display Adapter is is listed with the ones you had for your Video Card.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Hey guys,

I am having the same issue! It has been an intermittent problem for a few months now. Sometimes I boot up and evrything is fine.....but it;s getting worse.

I've got an ATI-X700 which has been running prefectly fine for months.....and now my PC boots up half the time without recognizing the monitor or the video card.

In the device manager, I don't even see the monitor (although XP must be detecting something or else I wouldn;t see anything.....and it shows the video card 7 times in the device manager!)

I installed a driver cleaning software which kills everything and I reinstalled the Omega type ATI drivers however the problem still occurs....I;m thinking that it;s a driver issue with the monitor (Samsung 955DF flat screen)

Could this be an OS issue? I have a well oiled machine (updated drivers and very well mainained) that is as clean as a whistle...any help woud be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

You could try removing all instances of the Display Adapter from the Device Manager (might have to do it from Safe Mode?), reboot and let Windows rediscover it, and then make sure you have the latest driver updates.

Is the Monitor mentioned in the Control Panel/ Display Properties page, you might be able to try the same thing there?

@UGZMDC - Yes, it could well be an OS issue, but VERY unlikely...

I am thinking on the rail that it is more likely that corrosion (contacts on the GFX card and/or pins of the AGP/PCI-x slot)... or that the GFX card gets power intermittently/sporadically...

PS: the Monitor DRIVER, if you can call it that, is in actuallity just a TEXT file that tells Windows what the geometry of the device is... ie. Horizontal sync at a given resolution...
in your case, it is all GFX card that is causing the delema, as the OS detects the card and at times does not (could be a flaky card, ie. overclocked or underpowered or damaged), and thus the driver for the card keeps detecting a new Monitor at times...

Ben

Thanks a bunch guys,

Actually the first thing I did was to pull out the hardware (GFX card) and check & clean the pins...I was looking for dust or corrosion. Everything looks good and the 300W power supply has always been sufficient in the past...ATI recommends 300W or more. The card is not overclocked and is running at its lowest settings....one more little detail which I had forgotten to mention which may shed some light for you pros.... XP used to boot up, I'd get the XP pro screen with that blue bar that moves from left to right, then I'd get my main screen (or PW request).

Now the little blue bar stops (must be XP stuck looking for a driver or not finding the video card), then my screen turns off and on twice and boots up with 4 colors.

I was pretty certain that this was a software issue, but the more I research the issue, it seems to be harware related. I'll check all of my plugs & power & pins again just to make sure.

Thanks for all the help and if anyone can shed more light, I'd really appreciate it. :)

@UGZMDC - 300 watts? and what else do you have in the PC, besides the CPU and a stick or two of RAM (list of specs etc. would be really helpful)... I'm leaning towards underpowering in your case...

suggest you try a new PSU with at least 450w and the more amps on the 12v rails and 5v rail the better...

Ben

Thanks,

Specs:

P4 3.0
Intel D865PERL
2G ram
1 CD drive
1 DVD drive

I unplugged the CD drive (don't really need it since the DVD drive does everthing) and formatted and reinstalled windows & all the drivers.

It's pretty funny, but when I turn the computer on with the switch in the back (rear of case), it boots up and recognizes the video card. When I turn it on with the button on the front.....it boots up with no VGA drivers...and in that mode, nothing can be installed, i get errors left & right.

Is it possible that a PC can boot up with 2 entirely different conditions? Wouldn't a lack of power from my PSU
have caused this problem sicnce the beginning? Could it be the MOBO?

Sorry to keep this going guys, but I'm really stumped.

If its using the switch at the back but not the front could mean the pins to the switch at the front failing, try swopping the front switch with a new 1 and insert the pin connectors on the mobo and see how that goes. 1 of ur pin connectors (power) isnt working properly.

Let me check that out after work today....thank you so much for all of your advice guys.

Thanks for all of your help with this guys, HalComps got the problem bang on, who would have ever guessed it was one of the pin connectors to the MOBO!?!?!?

Everything is running fine now. Thank you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back