Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Home _ users not working on different sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenB246

Vendor
Feb 5, 2007
US
I just got Fiber in my area, was on dial up! So i'm not sure if the trouble happened before, my kids would use facebook, etc. and said all was OK just real slooow, i only used for Email, did everything else at work.

When i log on as admin i have no trouble. when a different user logs on the first thing I notice is the anti virus software is not able to run, get error message that remote site is not available, if i go to different sites i.e. Songza.com the page loads and all looks well but nothing will play. I don't get any error messages it just shows "loading"

i tried making other users Admin and even created a new admin user, and the same trouble occurs

Scan your system with MBAM, SuperAntiSpyware, SpyBot...

also back those scans up with a bootable AntiViral solution such as Dr.Web Live CD and or Avira Rescue CD...

MBAM

SuperAntiSpyware

SpyBot S&D

Dr. WEB LiveCD

Avira Rescue CD

it also could not hurt to download HiJackThis and run a scan with LOG, and paste the LOG here for our perusal (just do not fix anything with it yet, as you could render your system inoperable if you delete the wrong stuff...)

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I think Ben has supplied the answer for you, these are just some additional suggestions if it turns out to not be malware related.

Do you every run programs like Disk Cleanup and Defrag? Perhaps you should clean out your Temporary Internet Files folder, although a newly created user negates that somewhat as a possible cause.

MTU settings on the machine is another thing to consider too. Perhaps a faulty Modem or Router?

Blank page on website
thread779-1032768

You don't really want Administrator users surfer the Internet as this is asking for trouble. Make sure your Internet surfing is done by Limited users.

Thanks for the responses, I will try it tonite. I have the Verizon Security suite and have run the anti-virus and spyware scans of thiers. I also have done disk checkup and defrag an nothing has changed.

I will let you know what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back