Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows xp help center lacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccastelein

Technical User
Aug 15, 2001
US
i recently upgraded to windows xp from windows 2000...
the "help center and support" is really lacking from
windows 2000...

Is there a way to change the xp help to be like windows 2000 help ?

for example: i use the windows help to quickly look up the dos commands for their relavent switches... such as
xcopy c:\xxxx c:\yyyy /d/i/y

but in the INDEX portion of xp help, not all the dos commands are there. It doesnt even list symbols such as & | etc.
This is terrible. please tell me theres a solution to this... I feel like im back in Windows ME help... which was completly useless.

ccastelein

Basically, Windows XP doesn't have DOS as we know it. There is enough script to run SOME DOS programs, but as for the common commands - forget it.

Have you tried typing this location in the Start Run box?

C:\WINDOWS\Help\ntcmds.chm

It will give you the information about XP Commands and MS-DOS in XP.

This location might give you a more familiar Help to search through. You may have to click on Index (just once) to load the full searchable index of contents.

F:\WINDOWS\Help\windows.chm

Using filters. (from Help and Support)

Used in conjunction with the command redirection pipe character (|), a command filter is a command within a command that reads the command's input, transforms the input, and then writes the output. Filter commands help you sort, view, and select parts of a command output.

Filter commands divide, rearrange, or extract portions of the information that passes through them. The following table lists filter commands that are available in Windows XP.

Read on....

right-click your desktop and run the New shortcut wizard. The target of the shortcut should be: %Windir%\Help\ntcmds.chm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back