Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows xp hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

smolen45

IS-IT--Management
Jun 8, 2005
NL
Hi
I've a very strange problem with one of my laptops. When I shut down the laptop with the network cable plugged in, and restart it with the network cable plugged out the pc hangs after "applying computer settings" just can see the desktop background, but no icons, start menu, and I cannot press ctr-alt-del.. The pc is member of a 2003 domain.
This is a great problem for me, so I would be very apprciated with any help!!
Grtz Piet S

If the desktop eventually appears after several minutes, it is likely because the laptop is set up to obtain an IP address dynamically and can't find one. Windows eventually times out and assigns a 169.254.x.x address.

No this has nothing to do with it, if you setup the laptop to obtain an ip-adres automatically, and no network cable is plugged in, it is not getting a 169.254.x.x address, this happend only when a network cable is plugged in and there is no dhcp server available. But we found the problem ourselves, we had to change the logon user for the MSSQL service from a domain user to a local system account. But thanks anyway,

grz Piet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back