Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIndows XP hangs when accessing other drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHale

Vendor
Nov 26, 2003
US
I am running Windows XP - full updates.
I have two WD harddrives (one 80 & one 20GB)a cd-rom, cd-rw & DVD burner, portable 40GB harddrive and a digital camera (USB connection)

Anytime I access the the 20GB (secondary harddrive), access the drve for the camera or the portable hardrive, the computers starts hanging up until I reboot.

Twice now after rebooting, I get an error saying that no boot device is found.

I have also found that at least once the secondary drive disappeared from the "My Computer" list...I rebooted and it came back.

A have done a virus scan and found nothing.

ANY IDEAS! I am cllueless on this one.

I posted this to the hardware forums and was suggested to post here.

I am also starting to have trouble with the sound card (on-board)...

I am looking at the heat build up possibly as an issue above a bad motherboard. (I have two fans running but when I opened them last night, the internal fan had a HUGE build up of dust.)

Is this the likely cause? I will be cleaning it tonight....

I was told the Microsoft has a patch for this, but I could not find any information concerning it. I have updated Windows XP 3 days ago....

Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back