Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Folder Display Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

msanto

Programmer
Nov 25, 2002
US
I have Windows XP Pro. I generally like Detail view in my folders, with some exceptions like Control Panel being in Icon View, etc. etc.

What I've seen is that often I'll boot and the Control Panel will be in List View. I'll change it, and all will be well, then reboot and back to List View.

Same thing w/ some other subfolders. My Documents might be in Detail View, then I'll go to a subfolder and it'll be in Icon View or something. This despite making the settings "Apply to All Folders". Note: I did reset Control Panel to Icon View after doing this.

Any ideas why these settings do not stick? It used to work.

Hi msanto,

You have the same problem as this link:

thread602-607145 Clayton's tip. Good luck.

~free yer mind, cleanse yer soul~

Same problem but I've tried all those solns.

This seems to be a bug in XP and you may well have to just live with it.

If you want the same view for every folder try this, open any Explorer window and go via Tools/ Folder Options/ View and apply your current view to all folders.

If you want different views for different folders Open any Windows Folder Click on Tools/ Folder Options/ View. Select from the dropdown options "remember each folder's view setting".

You can also try this fix to see if it will hold your settings.

"Sometimes windows XP forgets it's folder view settings.

Here is the solution.

Backup these RegKeys.

1:[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]

2:[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

After that you must delete them.

Restart windows to take effect.

Now you can change each folder and the setting will stay."
(My comment - Perhaps).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor