Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP fails to recognise scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

iseeit

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2001
GB
Desktop with Windows XP was operating with a Mustek A3EP scanner connected via a serial port using the software supplied with the scanner. Following windows security updates it has ceased to function. The image icon in the hardware list has an exclamation mark over it and there is no record of the scanner under scanners and cameras in control panel. When attempting to access the scanner via the shortcut the error 'file failed to load' is returned. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software and get the message that it is not digitally signed for use with XP. The XP upgrade is relatively recent but the scanner has operated fine under XP.
Any ideas where to start?

Have you checked the manufacturers web site for a newer driver?

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

Yes I have the latest driver although it is labelled for Windows 2000. There isn't one labelled for XP.

Okay,
Can you go into device manager and delete the device(the one with the exclamation mark) Uninstall the software, reboot.
See if it picks up the scanner and point it to the disk if it asks where to install the software from.

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

Howdy:

Did you try pushing the driver through anyway??

Murray

I have the same problem - XP stopped recognizing HP scanner, even tried substituting another HP scanner model, installation ran fine, but the application(OpenBook) does now recognize the scanner. Openbook only offers choices about TWAIN scanners. The problem is apparently not with particular scanners, but with the way XP recognizes and interfaces with them.

Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

Is the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) Service running, and set for Automatic?

Are there any errors mentioned in the Event Viewer?

Have tried any uninstall option for the Security Update?

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with the scanner.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

I had a similar problem with CanoScan 9900F and WinXP SP2. I also found an exclamation mark on the scanner in the hardware list and no scanners in control panel. I tried unistalling and reinstalling the driver and unpluging and repluging the scanner. I got an error 28, but could never reinstall the driver properly. Nothing helped, until I found a usefull utility which could completely remove the old driver. I think the old driver was not properly removed by windows, only the uninstall software for this specific driver could. After the proper uninstall and then a clean reinstall the scanner worked just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back