Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows XP error file protection error

Status
Not open for further replies.

arh2o

Technical User
Oct 26, 2003
US
I just upgraded to Windows XP Pro from Windows Me. The installation went smoothly, but now everytime i boot up my computer, and login to my account i get a "Windows File Protection: Files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. to maintain system stability, windows must restore the original versions of these files." I pop in my Win XP Pro CD, and the box goes away, however, when i reboot or take the XP Pro CD out of my drive, it continues to pop up. It also pops up the WFP box continously when i launch certain programs. Any ideas why this happens? Thanks for any help.

Start, Run, sfc /Scannow

You will need your XP CD.

Are there any carry-over programs from ME that are loading at Startup that could be altering System files?

To get further information about the error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on this site.

Unfortunately upgrades to XP, like earlier versions of windows are always a big fat problem. A clean install in a fresh directory is always the best idea if you can't find the problem any other way.

A lot of old stuff doesn't work right in xp, especially old firewalls and antivirus, some disk utilities and many graphics programs. On the bright side I've found that most of my games work either in native or compatibility mode, even really old games. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back