Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Dial Up Networking Username/Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmyers

MIS
Aug 8, 2001
US
Hello! This one issue has me frustrated. I am setting up a dial up networking connection to our company's internal network. It is dialing into a USRobotics Netserver that requires its own username and password. Here's the scenario: User types in their username, password in the windows xp login box and then checks the box to use dial up networking. (This username and password is the credentials used to validate on the Windows 2000 network.) The system will then prompt to dial. The username and password appear to make the dialing connection. They are already filled out with the same information that the user supplied. This username and password should always be the same -- never changes. Is there a way to force dial up networking to always use a particular username and password?

Sorry that this was so long. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

maybe i'm not understanding your question/scenario but it sounds like its already doing what you want it to do, which i'm sure its not. either way, is there only one dail-up connection on that computer? "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

Sorry -- I wasn't too clear. The username/password that is automatically filled out are wrong -- they are the ones for the network login, not the USRobotics Netserver login. The username/password that comes up in the "Connect" box should always be the USRobotics info.

Hope that is a little clearer. Thanks!

oh, ok. if i remember correctly the problem is that you should first go into your network properties and uncheck "client for microsoft networks" then restart. if your network needs this (probably don't) then reinstall it and the new copy should be good. hope it helps, i'm in a hurry got to go home. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back