Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP - Can't connect from other machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsabatini

IS-IT--Management
Jun 16, 2002
US
I just started having this issue where I can't connect to my workstation from any other box -- RDP, file shares, PING....nothing

Wireshark shows incoming SYN requests, but that's it.

I have no problems RDPing to other machines or connecting to file shares etc.

Updated by NICs to the latest driver revs.

Changed between my nVidia network adapter and Marvell...same problem.

No firewalls.

Any ideas??

Thanks a lot.

Joe

A little more info is needed. Has the XP box ever worked on the network before? Do you have the correct gateway? Is the IP statically set or DHCP? Have you tried a different cable?

Burt

I have actually resolved this.

A while back, I had disabled the Windows Firewall / ICS service.

So I re-enabled it, disabled our AD policy for the firewall settings, rebooted, re-enabled the policy, rebooted, and turned off the service again....somehow...*poof*...I can once again connect to my workstation from other machines.

Thanks.

Also, the reason I have to disable the Firewall/ICS service is because with it enabled, svchost continually eats up one of my two processor cores.

Yes, I should probably reinstall Windows...but what a pain. I'm trying to hold off until I build a new machine when Nehalem comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back