Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP - cannot set up VPN :( 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarleneD

Technical User
Jul 4, 2003
CA
Hi:

I am trying to set up VPN from my home PC Windows XP (Pro) to my college - however I can't seem to set up VPN on my PC.

The steps I took are (these are the instructions the I got):

1)Open the Network Connections folder, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then double-click Network Connections.

2) Click Create a new connection, and then click Next. Click Connect to the network at my workplace, and then click Next.

The next step is where things do not work

3) Click Virtual Private Network connection, click Next. Type a descriptive name for this connection, and click Next.

In my PC, when I get to step 3, the option ' Click Virtual Private Network connection' is greyed out - so I can't click on it.

What can I do to get this to work? Thank you for your help :)

quoted from
Connect using a dial-up modem or VPN option in the New Connection Wizard is unavailable (gray out)
SYMPTOMS:
1) After installed SP1 for XP and then use the System Restore feature to restore Windows to a state before the installation of the service pack.
2) After upgraded your computer to XP Pro from Win98, ME and XP Home. You may experience the following symptoms: a) The Connect using a dial-up modem or VPN option in the New Connection Wizard is unavailable (gray out). b) The Network Connections folder is empty. c) ICS and ICF services do not start because of a dependency failure. d) In the Event Viewer, you may get Event ID: 7023, Event ID: 20035 or error 5 with Access is denied, Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because it could not create buffers or Could not start the Remote Access Connection Manager service on Local Computer.
Resolution: 1) To resolve this problem, reinstall SP1 for Windows XP. 2) Delete the NextID value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony\Cards\NextID, and then restart the computer. 3) Delete the Telephony key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

I have this probleme too ...

But I have SP2 installed ... And you cannot install (Re-install) SP1 after the SP2 ...

And I dont see any of those registry key on my system ...

Any suggestion appreciated !

thanks

- Security is a never ending job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back