Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Boot Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridzz

Programmer
Sep 30, 2001
MY
I want to try something and wonder if anyone has tried it successfully.

I know that WinXp when installed on a partitioned drive will detect an installation of another OS and then boot to the Boot Manager at startup.

What I want to do is install XP on a different HDD attached to a Promise ATA 100 card and have it boot showing the Boot Manager. I realize that it must be the first Master drive but will it search the system and detect the other drive that is installed as the secondary Master with Win98 installed?

I'm going to post a copy of this on the HDD forum also and will check both for replies.

Thanks!

Why should he post in the HDD forum? This is a problem specific to Windows XP which insists on being on the first hard drive. Perhaps you misunderstood that.

For a dual boot XP does NOT have to be on the first master drive (in fact, with o/s on two drives, it would be recommended to be NOT on the first master drive - win98 should be). You should boot into win98 and start the XP install from there. Choose options to make it clean install (not upgrade) and to choose where you want to install it. After copying files and rebooting, it will ask where you want to install it, and you can choose the drive attached to Promise card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back