Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP as a gateway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmtjet

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
US
Here's what I want to do. Run a crossover cable between a Win 2000 Pro. computer and a Win XP home computer. Then use the XP machine as an gateway for internet access via a dialup connection. Can it be done? If so, how would I set it up? Can both computers be on line at the same time? Thanks.

PS: I know this a complex setup, so any help at all will be greatly appreciated. :)

The fun of ICS. Okay here I'll try to walk you through the setup.

Configure the Server (Windows XP) first.

1. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, Communications, Network Setup Wizard.

2. Choose This computer connects directly to the Internet.

3. Now you need to choose which connection you want to share. It will try to autodetect these connections, you should find your dialup in the list.

4. Select the local area connection that will share the Internet connection.

5. Enter a computer description and computer name.

6. Enter a workgroup name. Make sure both computers are in the same workgroup. Now click Next for the final times.

It should now start working its magic to configure the server. This takes a while and may appear like its stopping, just wait for it to finish. It will prompt you if you want to create a network disk you shouldn't need one.

Now configure the Client (Win 2000) machine.

1. Open the Network and Dial-up Connections folder by right clicking My Network Places on the Desktop and selecting Properties. Then right click the connection for your LAN and select Properties.

2. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and then click Properties. set it to Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.

3. Click the Advanced button and remove all Default gateways.

4. Click OK to exit from each screen. The network card should obtain an IP address and other settings from the DHCP server on the ICS server.

That should do it. If you want to make sure its actually getting a DHCP address goto the command prompt and run ipconfig to see if its doing so. If it doesn't have one or its 0.0.0.0 run ipconfig /renew to get it to grab one.

John D. Saucier
jsauce@magicguild.com
Certified Technician
Network Administrator

Thanks guys, very good directions. Looks easy. :)

bcastner, the link to prcticallynetworked is so garbbled it's hard to read or since from. I tried it with 3 different browsers. The only one that would do anything was Mozilla. That's great info., wish I could find it in a form for printing. One other question; if I'm setting up the network manually, how do I obtain the DNS address of the ISP servers? Thanks.

On the computer which is directly connected to the internet, open up a command prompt window (Start -> Run -> cmd) and type the following:

ipconfig /all

that will show you all the settings for all the adapters connected to the computer. Including the DNS settings for the internet connection.

Hope that helps,

Daniel

Thanks Daniel, that should do it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back