Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP and Business Objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoffT

Technical User
Mar 12, 2001
GB
Has anyone managed get Business Objects (4 or 5) to work with Windows XP? And yes, I do know it isn't supported. Any tips? We're struggling with a stand-alone installation right now, haven't even got it to run (4.1.8). We can live without Business Objects reporting but Supervisor and Designer are a must.

OK,

That is a tricky one.
i believe tha BO needs to be treated on XP as it would be in Win 2000, an that is why it does not work, because previous versions did not write to the registry at the same place....or something along those lines...why don't you upgrade ?

BO & XP
Works fine for me - both XP Home & Pro.

I'm using BO Supervisor, Designer & the Reporter tools against Oracle, SQL Server 2000 and Teradata via XP without any problems.

Roge...

You need to find out if your company "locks down" User PCs. BO needs "full control" over several registry keys. It will work fine if you are an Admin or Power User, but not if you are a User

So is there have any patch for Windows XP which support User to workin?

Jacky

Dear all,

It is the reply from the vendor of BusinessObjects in Hong Kong. I didnt test if it is work or not.

Regards
Jacky

*****CONFIGURATION******
BusinessObjects versions 5.0.3 and 5.1
Windows 2000

***********SYMPTOMS*******
You login to BusinessObjects as a user but BusinessObjects does not launch. However, when you login as an administrator, BusinessObjects launches fine.

You uninstall BusinessObjects and clean out the registry settings for any instances of the original installation. You then perform a Master Install of BusinessObjects on the Windows Authentication Server and the issue still occurs.

**********CAUSE**************
The users authenticated by Windows NT do not have the correct user rights to access the server over the network.

**********RESOLUTION******
Grant the users the right to access the server over the network according to the steps below:
1. Log in as Administrator on the Authentication Server.
2. Go to Start > Programs > Administrative Tools (common) User Manager for Domains. The User Manager for Domains dialog box appears.
3. Select the Policy tab and choose User Rights. A User Rights Policy dialog box appears.
4. Choose the right, "Access the computer from the Network."
5. In the "Grant to" window, add the users who cannot log in to BusinessObjects
6. Click OK.

Users can now login to and launch BusinessObjects

Note: Add the users who cannot login to BusinessObjects as a group in the "Grant to" window:

From Step 2, create a new Group in User Manager for Domains and name it "BusinessObjects Users."

Add the users who need to login to BusinessObjects.
Add this Group to the "Grant to" window in Step 5.

I've got the same problem and none of the solutions given in this thread seem to work.
Are there any other known solutions?

regards,

Patrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back