Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Workgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

saywhat01

Technical User
Oct 30, 2006
US
Ok...here is a question I just KNOW someone will jump on and answer in no time flat:

Problem: Client wants to install a wireless access point.

Bigger Problem: Client has 6 PC's running on the default windows installed Work Group and using the 192.168.2.0 schema.

Biggest Problem: Client wants NOTHING from the Wireless side to even SEE the wired side of the network.

The Wireless will be for their clients use from a dinning room. They have only one internet connection (highspeed of course) and the hard wired network runs all their financial data (thus the need to keep it secure).

For some reason they refuse to change any of the setups on the hard wired side. So I have to find a way to allow a Linksys Wireless router to use the same subent...but NOT allow the wireless users to even SEE the wired side of things...

any suggestions?

Define 'see'? Are all the machines running 2k? Put wireless machines in different workgroup - will be able to see wired workgroup in My network places, but unless using same username/password as wired machines, won't have any access to them. Bill Castner's bit of a network wiz - may be able to give some hiding tips if he sees this thread.

wireless router or access point? Presumably there's already a DHCP server (wired router?) giving out IP addresses to wired network? And will be for the new wireless clients too?

Thanks For The Reply Wolluf

To clarify what I mean by "See" - the client doesn't want to e hard wired PC's to even appear in the network neighborhood...

Don't get me started on the User Name and Password issues with this client.

In short they have handed me a network that is devoid of security and told me to hide it :-(

What I was wondering about what using a switch to split the inbound Cable Modem and then using totally different Subnets for the hardwired and Wireless networks. It would be MUCH easier if they had two external IP addresses...but this isn't the case...

AS for the DHCP question...if I could use both the 192.168.2.0 and 172.16.0.0 schema's my life would be simplier...

I do not see the problem if the Linksys is a second router on this network:

Router #1: Wired side
(I assume here the default scope: 192.168.2.100-- 192.168.2.149)

Router #2: Wireless Linksys

. Set the WAN address of the Wireless Linksys to a static IP outside the DHCP scope of Router #1 such as 192.168.2.12; Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0; Gateway 192.168.2.1 (the IP address of Router #1)
. Set the LAN-side address of Router #2 to 172.16.0.1
. Set the DHCP scope of Router #2 to 172.16.0.100 -- 172.16.0.149
. Disable DHCP on Router #1 and use Static IPs for the six wired computers. Start at 192.168.2.100 and go upwards.

Thanks bcastner...

Thats exactly what I am testing at my house at the moment ...

I just remember days not so long ago where wireless (even some hard wired ) routers would not allow you to set a private IP as the WAN address...locked up more than one Linksys that way I am afraid...

Not a big fan of Linksys...but this WRT300N they have picked as an access point is rather nice...

Thanks for the response!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back