Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows won't start after system restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

AyyTee1

Technical User
Dec 27, 2002
US
I performed a system restore and when it restarted, it stopped at the windows xp screen (the one right before the welcome screen) and has been stuck there for hours. The blue status bar keeps going across but I get nothing. I restarted and tried in safe mode and it booted up fine, but will not start in normal mode.

Reboot > F8 > and try "Last known good configuration".

What kind of computer is this? If this is a HP then reboot and hit I believe F10. This will bring up a auto recovery process. To reformat the HDD completely you have to choose advanced options then Next... If this is not a HP, then is this home built or what brand is it. If this is any retail brand stick the recovery disks in and use the advanced options to reformat completely.

I have already tried last known good configuration and it does the same thing. no, it is not an HP, it is home built. I don't have a recovery disk. Any suggestions?? thank you.

In Safe Mode undo the last System Restore point that you performed. What was the original problem that had you do a System Restore?

Again in Safe Mode, try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Try a few of the suggestions in this thread

XP will not boot
thread779-849914

The computer stops responding during startup

308041 - Resources for troubleshooting startup problems in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back