Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows won't shut down!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stax

Technical User
Sep 25, 2002
US
Hi,

Can anyone help me?

i was installing some software (audio plug ins) on my new system and my window 2000 suddenly restarted.

On restart there was a blue screen message that said

*** stop: 0x0000009F (0x00000002, 0x85E26460, 0x85E7F4B0, 0x00000000)
driver_power_state_failure

Now every time i shut down, the computer goes through the shut down sequence with no problem but when it reaches the point where it should turn off, the blue screen appears with the message above, it restarts again and boots up!?

Anyone know how to fix that?

Thanks

Shaun

Hi Shaun;

Follow this link:

Ed Please let me know if the suggestion(s) I provide are helpful to you.
Sometimes you're the windshield... Sometimes you're the bug.
smallbug.gif

dear friend

try reinstal your os and select the do not save the old windows setting..

if your are finished intalling it will automatic load all the installed driver before...

ok

That sounds like that apci thing...I can't remember what it's called. On install, if your power controlers are old (BIOS), it will halt and tell you to restart turn off some kind of advanced power setting, and restart. I happens during the first restart. Anyway, by hitting F-7? when it asks you "if you need to install RAID or SCSI controlers hit f8" and it "quietly fixes it for you".

I had to do that, but it was some time ago. Oh yeah! it was right after istalling SP3 when it started with all the trouble, so I just reinstalled.

I wish I could be more specific, but I couldn't find any litrature on that thing. Hope I was of some help...
--OR--
Thanks for the help...
--Rich

Hello out there,

i am reposting this, it worked for me. I just recently reformated my boot to Fat32 and was going through installing software, at some point this problem started up. I had had it before, and unfortnatley did not keep my eye on what I was installing. It may have something to do with Norton Corporate Edition??? Have it??? Anyway try this it worked for me. I have service pack 3 installed, Iwill XP333-R. Good luck!!!

I tried this and believe it works!!!! I was messing around with the service packs today but so far so good. I never emailed the original poster but the one thing we had in common was Norton Corporate. Maybe this is how the following got installed...?

"Fix for shutdown problems (worked for me)

By: Steve Spurlock

I checked my non-Plug and Play drivers section in Device Manager (you must choose View->Show Hidden Devices to see them) and found something named TPkd. I uninstalled it and now I have NO problems with Win2K at all. My shutdowns and restarts work right and all of my hardware works correctly.

Hopefully this will help someone else.

Additional info: The problem I was having started as a shutdown/restart problem where my system went through the saving settings and windows is shutting down messages and would just get a clean blue desktop and lock. I could hear the hard drive and fan cut off but the system never would shutdown or restart. Then I started having modem problems and video and sound problems. When I installed the SoundBlaster Live drivers I noticed that my floppy was gone. Upon investigating, I noticed that the floppy was conflicting with TPkd under the non-plug and play drivers section of device manager. I have uninstalled the TPkd with no discernable negative effects. As far as I can tell TPkd was provided by Pace Anti-Piracy but I can't tell which program installed it. Everything I run seems to work correctly after it was uninstalled."

I have had the same problem. It turns out that the seagate backup exec ver 4 that I was sent with my win2k machine is not compatible with win2k. see this link: This problem is a bear to troubleshoot. I had to do a second install of win2k and keep adding programs till I got the problem back!

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back