Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows won't hold menu font size

Status
Not open for further replies.

philrock

Programmer
Jan 29, 2004
US
Windows XP decided to change the menu font size on me. I want 8 points; XP wants 10 points. With 10 points, my AutoCad screen menu runs off the bottom of the screen and I don't have access to a number of commands I use often. I am able to set the Windows menu font size to 8 points as follows:

right click on Desktop, Properties, Appearance, Advanced, Item: Menu, Font Size, change to 8, OK, Apply, OK

- but every time I start up the computer, it's back to 10. How can I make Windows hold the setting I give it?

Are you logged in as THE PC administrator and not just an account set up with some admin privileges?
What size screen do you have and what are the resolution settings set at?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

My computer is stand-alone, and no one besides me has touched it in the last year except for a repair guy who seemed quite competent. The problem came up months after the repair guy worked on the machine.

The Documents and Setting folder lists 6 users, including Phil (me), Administrator, and 4 others. I am logged in as Phil, and as far as I know, I have full privileges; I am able to install and uninstall software, edit the registry (which I do only extremely rarely, and have not done in many months), etc. Windows has never told me I can't do something because I don't have adequate privileges.

I have a 19" CRT screen with resolution set at 1024 x 68. On the Display Properties window, Appearance tab, Font size is Normal. If I click on the Advanced Button, an Advanced Appearance window comes up. I click the dropdown menu under Item (currently showing Desktop), scroll to Menu and click. Next to Menu it says Size is 18 (I assume this is the height of the menu bar). Next to Font it says Size is 10. I change this to 8 to make my AutoCad menus look the way I need them. Click OK, Apply, OK, and I'm good-to-go, until the next time I power up.

Dont think this will make a difference but worth a shot, if you have a XP install disc handy(just in case) I would run a sfc /scannow from the command prompt and see if it repairs any system files.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

In my XP VM, I can change font size, font type, color all with a restart or shutdown after and it holds true. If the SFC doesn't bring about anything, I would run a chkdsk /r and possibly test the RAM and HDD with Memtest and the manufacturer's HDD testing utility respectively.

DrBob,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to do them before the end of the week.

On the Display Properties - Apperance tab, what is the Font size set to? If not "normal", maybe try changing it to normal... doing so on my XP box automatically changes the menu size to 8pt. Also, maybe check DPI settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back