Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows WMI - How to repair this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2005
US
Okay I have over 400 imaged PC's that were actually an 2000 to XP conversion YUCK.

My boss wants me to salvage these machines to try and save the time rebuilding so many machines so I am going through them with a fine tooth comb and getting the "kinks" out.

I have them mostly fixed but then I ran into WMI issues.

All 400 machines would not relay the last rebooted time from the WMI. Win32_OperatingSystem.LastBootUpTime. We use this information to force reboots if the machine has been up too long. I then found this gem -

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection WBEM 132 %windir%\inf\wbemoc.inf

When put into the run line this will get windows to reinstall WMI (formerly WBEM thus why you see WBEMoc.inf)

The problem I am having is on some of these machines even after doing this when I use WMI Explorer to connect to these now 75 computers I get things like Error: Not Found or Error: Intialization Failure and a select few have WMI installed but don't show Win32_X they just show _X calls that aren't populated (almost as thought the place its refferenceing is missing?)

On these machines the reinstall has been ran the WMI service is automatic and started. I have even stopped and restarted it.

So in all I got the 400 down to 75ish using the rundll32.exe line but on these 75ish machines i cannot find any other possible fixes. Any ideas?

Just some ideas for you to look at at your convenience. Possibly some information here to help that you may not have come across.

"Help and Support " Does Not Collect All Hardware Information

WinMgmt could not initialize the core parts: To reinstall wmi into the registry:

Go to Start/Run and type in: CMD, then Winmgmt/? for information. Then run each of these hitting enter after each:

winmgmt/clearadap
winmgmt/kill
winmgmt/unregserver
winmgmt/regserver
winmgmt/resyncperf

Error Message: The Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Information Might Be Corrupted

Msinfo32.exe Generates a "Can't Collect Information" Error Message

How to troubleshoot WMI-related issues in Windows XP SP2

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winmgmt is the Registry location for the relevant Service if that is of any use to you.

Looking on my own machine prompts me to ask what have you got listed in your Environment Variables for the Path? Some examples here, notice the mention of "Wbem", do you have that in your Path entry?

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\

F:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;F:\Program Files\Support Tools\

Another thing you could look at is the ListSvc command in the Recovery Console to see if the Winmgmt Service has an entry and what is the status of any such entry (Disabled, Enabled)?

Is there anything in this location, in some of the logs?

C;\Windows\System32\WBEM\Logs

Some of the important Services that depend on Windows Management Instrumentation are Security Center and Windows Firewall. Are you having problems with those applications?

Of course if you were to re-install Windows over itself (as previously mentioned), you should fix this type of problem, not lose your installed files or programs, and only have to replace Windows Updates, but that is your decision.

Well the repository fix was what did it for me -

Stop WMI service
Deleted the C:\winnt\system32\wbem\repository directory.
Start WMI service
Wait 1 minute for it to rebuild.

This did not fix about 10 but 10 out of 400 is alot better than 75 out of 400. I think I can tell my boss these 10 should be rebuilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back