Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

emjlr3

Technical User
Jan 8, 2005
US
On my older computer I tried to start it up today and before it eveen begins to load windows there is an error that comes up that reads, "NTLDR is missing Press Ctlr+Alt+Del to restart" i can't get past that point, I don't understand what the heck the deal is. What the heck is going on and how do I fix it?? Thanks for the help guys

Dumb question - do you have a disk in the a: drive? If so, take it out...

Just to emphasize a point from perluserpengo's excellent link, in my experience this is most often due to an issue with the drive MBR, and rarely that NTLDR as a file is corrupt.

Start Recovery Console and logon as Administrator:
Type:

fixmbr
fixboot
exit

Remove the Windows XP CD and restart the computer.

ill read those links, and try that, but before i do let me just say that the last thing i can rememeber doing on it was using an external memory card thing that you can store stuff on, and i remember i acccidently took it out wrong w/o doing the thing where it says it is now safe to take it out and all, maybe that had something to do with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back