Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows will not boot, what can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucker16

Technical User
Dec 23, 2002
CA
I installed Windows Home Edition on my c:\ drive, and dual booted with Ubuntu on a d:\ drive. I have other partitions e:\, f:\ etc all with data stored on them, that I would like to keep. After using Ubuntu for a while, I decided I didn't want to keep it anymore so I deleted the d:\ partition and ever since then, I am not able to boot into windows.

After post, I see the following message:

GRUB loading stage 1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...

Error 17

and the computer just hangs there. I have tried pressing F8 to get into safe mode, however I'm not able to. I've also tried to reboot with the XP cd in the drive and using the recovery console command "FIXMBR" however I am given a warning saying it's possible that I can lose other partitions if I confirm the message.

I don't mind losing c:\ because all I have is windows on it. I really want to save other partitions though. Should I try FIXMBR, or can I delete the c:\ partition and re-install windows on C:\ without losing data on the other partitions?

If you go through the Windows boot-to-CD install process it will give you the opportunity to load onto the C: partition. Just don't select "delete partition" when prompted, go forward in the installation process to install Windows to the same partition as before. You will be given the option to format the partition and install Windows to it without deleting the partition. Formatting is fine, you just do not want to delete the partition.

Just be careful, read the installation instructions on the screen, you should be fine.

Tony

Users helping Users...

You basically deleted Ubuntu's loader which was allowing you to dual boot. You'll need to use XP's Cd as Wahnula suggested to recreate Windows boot files so it can be boot into without Ubuntus' boot loader.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

addendum and warning:

If at all possible, connect your HDD to another machine and back up the E: and F: partitions to another drive, CD or DVD, unless you have recent good backups.

Tony

Users helping Users...

315224 - How to Remove the Linux LILO Boot Manager

314458 - How to Remove Linux and Install Windows XP

Have a look at XP's Recovery Console.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

The Bootcfg command with the rebuild switch might work for you.

A Discussion About the Bootcfg Command and Its Uses

How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable to Start Windows XP (Q314079)

Q305595 - HOW TO: Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP

This one is rather simple to fix:

one, boot into the RECOVERY CONSOLE, see Linneys link (HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654), or when you boot with the XP CD it will ask you to REPAIR by hitting R, do that...

it will then scan for an existing WINDOWS installation and log you onto it as ADMINISTRATOR (if you have a password set for the admin account, that is what you will need)...

once logged onto the RECOVERY CONSOLE type the following commands:

FIXMBR
FIXBOOT

then reboot...

fixmbr overwrites the BOOT Sector of the HDD, where the GRUB boot code is sitting, which would in turn load the BOOT MENU from the Ubuntu partition (which of course does not exist any more, since you deleted it) and bonks...

fixboot will ensure that the boot files for XP are correct and in place...

hope this has been helpful...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back