Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows VPN Routing Table 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdsurfrider

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2003
US
Hoping someone can help me out. I am running Windows2003 VPN server with WinXP clients accessing multiple subnets on the corporate network.

On the client, when I select 'Use Default Gateway On Remote Network' they can access all subnets but Internet traffic is routed through the VPN. This is not a desirable configuration, albeit less secure. When I deselect 'Use Default Gateway On Remote Network', Internet traffic is routed via the users' ISP but they can only access the subnet that the VPN server is on.

I can get it to work if I create static routes on the client but the big GOTCHA is that the interface arugement of the route add command is required and it changes every time a new VPN session is established.

Is there a way to have the VPN server serve static routes to the VPN clients? Is there a way to 'grep' (I'm a UNIX guy by nature) the interface from the route command and then pop it into a script that would create the static route?

Any and all help is greately appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

You need to look at the CMAK.

See
You will need to use cmroute to edit the client routing table. See for some details.

MS could have made this a lot easier to deal with. From what I can tell, looks like the W2K3 version may be a little easier to deal with, but don't have my hands on it so I'm not sure. Good part of the deal is once you get it set the way you want it, your done and you should have very few client problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back