Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Vista / NetWare

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdietz

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2003
US
Ok. We just got our 10-License copy of Windows Vista RC1. I have installed and configured Vista on several new machines which we have not put in service yet to test it out. The operating system itself is working fine, however I have found that the Novell Client (both the current version 4.91SP2 as well as the beta latest version 4.91SP3) will not install on Vista. I get a message stating that "Novell Client will install only on Windows 2000/XP/2003 Server" and the installation exits at that time. It also appears that there is no client integrated with Windows (like 2K and XP has) where you can install/enable it through Network Properties. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can either get a Novell Client on these machines or get these machines connected to our NetWare servers?

Thanks!

cmd

Novell is planning to release a 32-bit and 64-bit client for Windows Vista, but not until Vista is released.

Microsoft has a history of making significant changes to their final releases. This always hurts Novell because they only have access to beta or pre=release code, which inevitably changes at the last minute.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

I was able to get an older client, 4.83 SP1 to install on Vista and connect, but I haven't done extensive testing yet.

Iolair MacWalter
Director of IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back