Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows updating continuously - 2003 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeeyes1978

Programmer
Jan 11, 2005
AU
The firewall logs on my client site show that the following connection is ALWAYS downloading and as you can see it is using 87% of available bandwidth. The server in question is running Windows 2003 Standard Edition.

I have uninstalled WSUS and IIS and rebooted, turned off automatic updates and even stopped the automatic updates service but it keeps running. If I change the default gateway to a non-existant address the downloads stop, but the second I make it the proper gateway again, it starts up again. There is NOTHING installed on the server except for AD, it is a standard windows vanilla install. I really don't want to rebuild the server as it's a primary domain controller. I can reinstall it if I really have to, but i'd rather not.

This is the file continually downloading:
44.5k 87% tcp 172.16.50.2:1887 <-> 208.111.145.10:80
206 GET /msdownload/update/software/updt/2008/04/lp-pt-pt_d4bcbfe1b5e1bdc5cff94c5e769affa65f54148e.exe

If Automatic Updates are disabled and the service stopped and WSUS is not installed, then what the hell is trying to pull down the file?

Help!!

Well google says its a Vista SP1 MUI Portuguese Language pack. Sounds like a remnant from WSUS, guessing you didnt totally kill it. I would start there.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

I ended up having to uninstall and reinstall IIS which was extremely difficult because it killed Endpoint Protection too, but nevertheless, problem solved.

Just a question, I google that link and got nothing. What part did you google to get the result of what it was?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back