Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Updates: Resart Now - or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

cognosadm

MIS
Jan 12, 2006
GB
Hi All,
Just wonder if anybody knows, or has an opinion of, whether it's 'OK' to leave a server (in this case a Domain Controller)at the "Restart Now" prompt after Windows Updates as we are not able to reboot until a quiet time. We are having problems we cannot point a finger at, but with the DC being in that state, and people knowing that, 'they' are saying that's what's causing the problem. Aside from that not being an ideal state to leave a server in, does anybody know of issues that could arise from it being so?
Thanks in advance for any info'

S.

Reboot in a reasonable amount of time. I manage multiple networks and can never restart immediately, so I try to reboot within 2-3 days. It is not a good idea to wait to long as I have notice waiting to much longer can have affects on a server (sometimes), similar to running out of resources or odd issues such as delays in desktop response, rarely causing major issues, but why take a chance.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

I agree with technome, except that I never let a reboot "hang" for more than a few hours. Also, I NEVER install other software until any required reboot has been done.

I seldom have to wait though as I've scheduled my updates to occur at a normally quiet time and have a maintenance window scheduled for the same day/time every month.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies.
Pretty much confirms what we suspected. The ironic thing is, those who won't let us reboot the DC are the same people who blaming the problems on the DC!
Thanks again,

S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back