Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guilo

Technical User
Nov 15, 2002
US
Hi,
I have a question about windows update so please forgive me if this is not the best forum.
I am a computer tech and I have 9 locations that I have to travel to. Each location has anywhere from 5-300 computers and the smaller locations have a 64K connection.
I was wondering if there is a way I can run the windows update on my laptop so when I plug it in to the network at each location it will let me know exactly which updates are needed. Being able to do this would save me a lot of time.

Thank you all.

Guilo

Microsoft has a utility called the "Baseline Security Anylyzer"
You can use it to check the security updates/hotfixes on your local machine, remote machine and multiple remote machines at one time. You can install it on your laptop, and connect to the network in question and anilyze the computers in question. Also does SQL and IIS.

Seeing that some locations have a slow connection and high number of clients I would suggest using the Software Update Services Server. A server assumes the role of making connections to windows update, downloads the critical updates and then acts as an internal distribution point. Your clients would query your internal SUS server for updates. Therefore reducing traffic across your slow connection - 1 computer using it for updates, the others querying that 1 computer - and still allowing the others the ability to update without killing your bandwidth.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Thank you. I will give that a shot. One thing I should have mentioned is that we also have Win98 machines. I see that the software update services server is only for win2k and winxp. Dont see one for win98. I assume that they will not realease one either.

Thank you for your help!!
Guilo

Goto :

Download everything you need and put in on a CD or your laptop.
That way, you always have the patches en SP's at hand.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

I need to maintain computers (w2k servers & workstations)at sites in several remote locations that are on LANs which I have no direct access or admin rights to. These are expected to be maintained with all security updates whether they have internet access or not. This includes windows and office updates. Using Windows Automatic updates is impossible in most cases. How can I download windows, IE and Office updates to burn to a CD and send to the sites for local installation? I have tried with IE6 sp1 with no success.
Any help would be appreciated.

Foland

See the previous link.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

I am unable to access that site from my desk due to network policy settings. Will have to find a machine with more open access. Another question: I am told that there are many updates that we need - will we need to reboot after every one or can they all be loaded and then boot?
Any help would be appreciated.
foland

Your safest bet is to reboot when promted to. Some update to require a reboot, others don't. Install your service pack type ones 1st since some other updates are included in the service packs. Then install what is left. USe the Baseline Security Anylizer to determine what updates are needed.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back