Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows update 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yohann

Technical User
May 12, 2002
US
All of a sudden when I try to log on to Windows Updates, it says "Access Denied.Network policy settings prevent you from using Windows Update to download and install updates on your computer."

Whats going on?
John Farrow
Cloudcroft, New Mexico

Problem Description:
When you attempt to download updates, the process fails and the Windows Update Log reads: "Access to Windows Update has been disabled by administrative policy."

Resolutions:
Your group policies are set to prevent you from accessing Windows Update. Contact your system administrator for further information. (The Group policy object, "Remove all Access" to Windows Update was is Enabled.)
---------------------------------------------------------
Issue Applies To:
Windows XP Client
Windows 2000

I am sole administrator/power user on this computer. How do I correct this? John Farrow
Cloudcroft, New Mexico

I'll paste the resolution that is included in the link on my previous post.

Problem Description:
While accessing Windows Update, the following error message appears.
Access Denied
Network policy settings prevent you from using Windows Update to download and
install updates on your computer. If you believe you have received this message in error,
please check with your system administrator.

Resolutions:
Check your registry to see if either of the following values exists:

1. [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUp
date] "DisableWindowsUpdateAccess"=dword:00000001 Modify it to 0 or delete it.

2. [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000001

These keys will block user access to the Windows Update site if set incorrectly. Make sure these keys are set to 0 to allow access.

This also will occur if the account that the user is sign on does not have full permissions
to the Program Files\Windowsupdate\V4\Temp folder and the iuident.cab is not in this folder.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue Applies To:
Windows XP Client
Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back