Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Update Loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

brk1221

MIS
Jan 29, 2002
US
Hi, I have 2 brand new Win7 Pro boxes I'm getting ready for users and the updates are stuck in a loop.

It will say "60 important updates selected" I click "Install Updates". The updates install, I reboot, wait a few minutes and the 60 updates are back! Looking at update history, numerous updates have failed. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Tim

Is the system stuck in boot loop???
If SO, run system restore from F8 >> repair computer > system restore (back to a time before the update problem started).

If NOT, go into updates and ONLY approve those that didn't fail the last time. Let them install, reboot. See what pops up for "updates needed". If the only ones there are the ones that previously failed, try allowing ONE to install, reboot and see if it completed. Keep going until you identify which one(s) are screwed up and won't install.

Give us a list by KB (knowledge base article) of ones that won't install so we can look up why it might be.
Give more info on the PCs: 32 or 64-bit, brand and model or MOBO if you built it.

Every Lenovo I get in will not install all of the updates. I end up doing them in batches of 15-20 to get them done. They will install after a few hours work.

So far it looks like the clean boot is working. Disabling all the non-Microsoft services and running the updates 2-3 times has gotten all them all installed. Thanks for the responses

If you are having a problem with Windows Updates you could try the Fixit Tool from this article?

How do I reset Windows Update components?

System Update Readiness Tool fixes Windows Update errors in Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2008

I've encountered the same "loop" problem with Lenovo. The Microsoft updates that appear to be at the root cause are:

KB2647753
KB2729094
KB2732487
KB2732500

I found that if you manually select KB2647753, install it by itself and reboot, the rest will be able to install without problems.

Good Luck

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back