Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Update Function 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

btfsplk

Technical User
Jan 2, 2005
US
I recently re-installed XP Pro SP2 after reformatting the disk on an old Dell desktop. Expecting to spend several hours downloading updates, I initiated windows update. It scans for updates OK, but won't open the next window. I get the error message 0x80190194. I did an error code lookup, but none of the situations seemed applicable. What do I do now?

Download the network installation package of SP3 here. It blathers on about not doing this for just one PC, but it will work. Once this is run, then run windows update again. Why don't you make a slipstream windows sp3 dvd, that way the next time you go install it, it will already be at SP3. Lots of guides out to do this, just google slipstreaming xp sp3.

And remember, no more windows xp updates after April of 2014, so think about replacing it.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I wouldn't have guessed that all I needed was SP3. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back