Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Upadte Error 0x80072F78 Won't go away

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotSoLucky

Technical User
Jan 11, 2005
US
OK, I am really getting frustrated with this problem.

I am trying to update my Windows 2000 Servers. I get the 0x800723F78 error. I followed Microsoft’s articles to fix it and I still have the problem.

I took a server and re-installed IE6 SP1 and then I could download updates. Rebooted that server, tried again to get updates and that stupid 0x80072F78 error showed. So I re-Installed IE6 SP1 and again I could downloaded more updates.

Every time I get the error I have to re-install IE6 SP1 and then the updates will work.

Yes, I sit behind a proxy server.
No,it is not an ISA Proxy.
Yes,I ran proxyconfig.
Yes,I ran the guided help.
Yes, I can update workstations running Windows XP SP2 through the proxy server.
Yes, all the settings on the servers are the same as the settings on the XP systems.

This makes no sense and I am really getting frustrated.

I have 7 servers that need updates and this is the process I have to go through with each server.

NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK ON THE SERVERS EXCEPT RE-INSTALLING IE6 SP1 EVRYTIME.

HELP ME - I AM LOSING MY MIND.

By any chance are the automatic updates/Bits transfer services not starting when you reboot?

Bothe the Automatuc Update and the Bits service were started.

This is kind of a late response, but i had similar problem and that's how i solved it:

- stop wuauserv service (automatic updates)
- rename systemroot\SoftwareDistribution folder
- start wuauserv service and attempt to do an update
- as soon as you start doing new update, you'll notice that windows will create new SoftwareDistribution folder
- you can later delete renamed folder if you want

Lukasz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back