Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows unable to "see" networks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfnkt

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2007
US
I have a compaq v2718wm laptop with a broadcom 802.11b/g mini-pci adapter in it. I have a 2wire modem that is also a wireless access point and a linksys wrt55ag that I've hooked up for testing purposes since I've had this issue.

The laptop when you turn it on will tell you via a balloon that wireless networks are available. When you open the "view wireless networks" part of it, it will search for networks and then display that no networks are in range. I have had this problem for going on 8 months and have already had the card replaced by compaq and this didn't solve it.

I have also tried an orinocco pcmcia card and it failed to find any networks as well. I have another laptop here that is my work laptop that will see both access points fine (and a neighbors). I have done everything from uninstall/reinstalling the adapter, reseating it, trying new drivers, rebuilding the tcp/ip stack and applying windows update patches. I have however stopped short of reinstall windows which I fear is the problem, any ideas?

yeah firewall is off, I've even attempted setting the laptop in the DMZ on the router firewall.

How does the laptop get an IP address? And when it is failed do you have a valid IP address?

no it wont even see the networks to connect,

I got it to associate last night and it wouldnt pull an ip, would also just timeout and then take an APIPA address. This has happened in the past and I've just overcome it by staticly assigning an address.

Looking at the logs for the connection and current stats, ethernet is is doing great, no errors. However wireless is performing terribly, I connected last night on my work laptop and waited 10 minutes for cnn.com to load, here are current stats.

Wireless
Transmit: 241186346 Receive:436791

Errors:99490

That is a lot of errors, I think I should investigate replacing the modem, however I don't it's related to the other laptop not seeing either network (My Main on the DSL router/WAP or my Linksys wrt55ag (wrt-dd firmware micro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back