Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Time Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

briteeyez

IS-IT--Management
Nov 26, 2001
EC
My domain controller keeps logging the error 64 and 54 in the event viewer. Why is this and what can I do to stop it. My network has one Windows 2000 server and all the clients are Windows 2000 Professional.

Thanks

Need more information...

What does the actual error message say?

Patty [ponytails2]

Please note that these errors are been logged on the PDC.

Event ID 64
The Time Service has not been able to find a domain controller to synchonize with for a long time. To reduce network traffice the time service will wait 960 minutes before trying again. No synchronization will take place during this interval becuase certain network operations to fail. To tell the time service tht network connectivitu has been restored and that it should resynchorize execute "w32tm /s" from the command line.

Event ID 54
The Windows Time service was not able to find a domain controller. A time and date update was not possible.

Hi Briteeyez,

I also had this problem a while back. I had to set up the server using the "net time /?" instruction.

The link below discusses the issue.
thread96-209792

This is the Microsoft instructions regarding how to set this up.

Here is a link of SNTP servers off of the Microsoft site.

Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back