Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Terminal Server and Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

idemoya

IS-IT--Management
Jan 31, 2002
US
I have a Windows 2000 machine with terminal services running and Citrix MetaFrame XP. I have 10 CALs for Terminal services and 20 Licenses. I have approximately 15 clients who access the citrix server. Some of my clients are getting the message that their temporay licenses are going to expire in x amount of days. When i look at License manager it seems that Windows Terminal Services issues a licenses per computer regardless if the computer is accessing the system or not. Is there any way of changing the licensing method so the users do not have a perminent license instead are given back after a session?

Thank You

Ivan

The way Citrix and Microsoft license their products is totally different. If you have 1000 PCs that will need access to the Citrix Server but only 20 will be concurrent, you need 20 Citrix licenses but 1000 TS CALs. Of course if your PCs run Windows 2000 or XP Pro, the TS CAL is built-in.
There is no way to block the PCs. If you installed the hotfix described on Q287687, PCs will always get a temporary license first and after a permanent one. If they do not use the system again, sometime between 29 and 79 days, the TS CAL will be back to the pool.
So make sure the hotfix is applied on all TSs and on the Licensing Server.
As a workaround for now, delete the registry key MSLicensing from the computers getting the expiration warning. Cláudio Rodrigues
Microsoft MVP
Windows 2000/NT Server - Terminal Services

Thank You Very Much for the information. Lets say I have 10 TS CALS with all the licenses already distributed and i replaced one of the ten computers how do I release licenses?????

You do not 'release' them. If the hotfix described on Q287687 is applied, this will be done automatically for you sometime between 29 and 79 days. Cláudio Rodrigues
Microsoft MVP
Windows 2000/NT Server - Terminal Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back