Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Ten Icon 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfficeAnimal

Technical User
Jun 4, 2009
AU
I have been blessed with the arrival of a white 'Windows Flag' icon amongst the little icons at the right of my task bar. If I hover the cursor over it the pop-up reads 'Get Windows 10'. I dare not click on it in case it installs Windows 10 (I shudder at the prospect). [purpleface]

Please, how can I get rid of it before I make a dreadful mistake?

Thanks

"Truth will sooner come out from error than from confusion."
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

It does not install it. It 'reserves' you a copy, and then downloads it to your PC when it is available and notifies you. You can then choose when (or whether) to install it.

Still, probably plenty of people who'd prefer to decide for themselves if they want to download it at all (not just whether they install it). In which case the following article may be of interest:

Thanks strongm

I guess there are a lot of people who, like me, treat things that appear on their desktop unannounced but looking like they might be official with the deepest suspicion. You would have thought that MS would be wide awake to that by now. They have had a few years to learn. [soapbox]

Anyway, thanks again. You have taken away the fear factor. [thanks2]

"Truth will sooner come out from error than from confusion."
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back