Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows' Task Scheduler

Status
Not open for further replies.

opusx2

MIS
Jun 6, 2002
US
On our Windows network, I am able to browse the network, open a computer on that network and get access to its task scheduler. Now, I've disabled the task scheduler from running that computer, but why am I still able to create a blank task? Would it be possible to flood the computer with all these tasks and render the computer un-usable until all the tasks has been deleted? Are there ways to prohibit the creation of new tasks?

Thanks

possible, but you could still only run certain tasks and scripts as long as you do not have full privelages. You could set up the AT Service account to use an actual user account if you go into control panel/task manager and under advanced there is a at service account tab. Just a suggestion, depending on your network there are all sorts of things to do to block browsing of workstations.

Can you list a few ways to stop browsing of workstations?

You can simple just disable MS file and print sharing unless you need it for your network.

OR you can set registry keys.

Start menu -> Run -> type 'REGEDT32' and manually set the following registry keys
------------------------------------------------------------

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser

"Start"=dword00000003

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters]

"MaintainServerList"="No"

"IsDomainMaster"="FALSE"

You could also use "net config server /HIDDEN:YES" on your workstations (this removes them from the browse list)

The previous post stops master en backupbrowsers but as long as there is still one master and backup all workstations will show up. My solution hides the machines on which the command has been run, independant if master or backup browsers are available ...

Is there a way to create and or edit tasks programattically with VBA, VB, VB Script or Windows Scripting Host?

I want to run various reports in the middle of the night so they are available for users in the morning. Basically, it will call Access off of the command line with an autoexec macro which will read an Excel file the user will maintain.

I have automated everything but the Task Scheduler part. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Have you tried creating a shortcut for the task, and scheduling the shortcut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back